Sunday, April 10, 2011

City of lights

This is a beautiful city, a wonderful country, and the best companion ever.

We arrived early in the morning on Abby's birthday. It was a really fun and different way to spend her birthday, and I was so happy to have her with me, there, on that day. It was a great way to enjoy some time together after a good amount of time apart, and before another big trip apart. I love you Abby!



The other purpose of this quick trip was to join with my mission president and a number of other missionaries for a brief reunion after being home from my mission 14 years ago. How wonderful it was to see some familiar faces, and to be able to speak the language in a natural setting (as opposed to responding to "Oh, say something french"). At any rate, it was a wonderful trip. I think both Abby and I were pretty exhausted after all of it, but it was so wonderful being there together. I think we managed to see all of the main touristy things, but our schedule certainly did get the best of us a few times. I usually like to plan everything to the detail, and know all the hours, maps, etc. This time we just enjoyed the trip and the experience. There were lots of crepes to be had, as well as some incredible food at the reunions. I think Abby may request that I get a recipe for Macaroons. :-) I think the highlight for me was introducing Abby and the Cuenots. Three people that have had (and continue to have) a tremendously personal and strong impact on my life. It was wonderful.

I discovered something new this time in Paris, that I hadn't seen before. There's a small bridge, the Pont des Arts, just to the side of Notre Dame, where people have attached hundreds, if not thousands of small locks; each with a small inscription proclaiming their love. It's really quite an impressive site. We took a picture of one of these locks just so you could see how great it is.



We may also have set a record for late nights, getting home around 1 or 2 am each night. Too much to see, too much to do, and loving every minute of it. I love traveling with Abby. She is so much fun. We always try to see a little bit of the normal life in places, and often we've ended up getting to see some small glimpses of it, or at least missing the main rush of tourists. It's been a lot of fun. Thank goodness that we have forever to enjoy together!



We also had a chance to get out of the city a little bit. Mont St Michel is an abbey that dates back to about the 8th century. It sits out on a small "island" just of the Breton (in Brittany, not England) coast, not far from Normandy. During high tide, this used to be an island, and in low, it became accessible by land. Now there is a causeway providing access at all times, but the tide is still quite impressive to see. They say it comes in quicker than a galloping horse. At any rate, this is were we watched the sunset on Abby's birthday. I might add that it did get a bit cold that night waiting for that perfect moment. (Photographically speaking of course, because in my view, the whole trip was the "perfect moment".)


1 comment:

  1. Best birthday EVER. And I count the whole weekend as birthday. My favorite was our plans to throw the extra key to the ACDC lock into the Seine. And also how PDAs are socially acceptable and even sort of expected. Yay for the city of love.

    ReplyDelete