Monday, October 28, 2013

Korea

I just returned from another trip to Korea. It's been about two years since my first trip, and I still really enjoy visiting. The work portion of the trip was productive, and I was able to get out a little bit in the evenings and  weekend.  This trip had an interesting personal side to it. There are two missionaries in my congregation at church, and on Sunday, one was replaced by a girl who had just arrived from Seoul. These young sisters spend most of their time volunteering at the visitor center for the Los Angeles temple, but they also work with the local members. It's not uncommon to have missionaries from other countries, given the global presence of the church, and international tourists passing by the temple visitor center.  At any rate, she had just arrived,  and was just getting started on her mission here in LA. When I found out she was from Seoul, I decided to see if i could find find her family and report back that she was doing well. It turns out that her home congregation meets not too far from my hotel, so I hopped in a cab and headed out. I arrived a little late, so most folks were in a Sunday school class. I took a seat in the chapel and waited for the main service to get started. As I was sitting there, one of the local members walked up to say hello. I speak hardly any Korean, but he did speak a little English. I asked him if he knew of a Kim family that had a missionary (That's not a great question in Korea, since there are so many Kims) and showed him a picture I'd taken back home with my wife and I and the missionary in question. He got a little quiet and said, "That is my daughter." It brought him so much joy! I told him that she was doing very well, and had arrived safely. He introduced me around and showed off the picture. Before leaving, we took a picture with the whole family, including grandma. I sent it back to my wife, and thanks to the time difference, she was able to share it with the missionary that same day. It as an awesome experience to be able to share it with them.


While I didn't have a ton of time during the week to get out (as I was working), I did manage to get out one night for blue hour.I also stopped by the river to catch a glimpse of the Seoul Tower and reflections. Here are the resulting shots from the night.
Gyeongbukgang Palace Gates View from teh river












The other good part of this trip was that I was able to take a couple days vacation on the way home. I spent one day hiking in Seoraksan National Park, which is on the notheastern corner of South Korea. It's incredibly beautiful, and I got to see some fall colors.


This giant statue is just before the trail starts Lots of small waterfalls along the way
Another view of the waterfall Heundeul Bawi Rock
This is the top of the Ulsanbawi Rock trail. 
The view was incredible.
Looking down from the top, you can see all the fall colors.


































It was a bit of an adventure, taking the bus to Sokcho and then transferring, but I had good directions and you can pretty much follow the trail of people in backpacks and hiking poles!

Stay tuned for part two of the trip - they extended layover.

No comments:

Post a Comment